Caroline’s Sommer strip quilt tutorial
Caroline made the prettiest pink and green quilt for our early spring shop window display using fabrics from Sommer by Sarah Jane and coordinating Kona Cotton Solids! This is a super simple strip quilt but the result is an absolutely adorable gift for a baby girl’s nursery. Plus it makes use of that darling border print!
Strip quilts couldn’t be easier so we aren’t providing a full tutorial, but I asked Caroline to share her fabric list, measurements and layout to take the guesswork out of making a similar quilt if you want to use this idea.
PLEASE NOTE, FABRIC AND MATERIALS REQUIREMENTS AND LAYOUT HAVE BEEN UPDATED FOLLOWING USER FEEDBACK
You will need:
A. Kona Cotton Solids – Pear (1.5 metres for backing and front strips)
B. Sommer – Sommer Swan in Grass (.5 metre)
C. Sommer – Sommer Garden in Bloom (.25 metre)
D. Kona Cotton Solids – Primrose (.75 metre for front strips and binding)
E. Sommer – Tulip Tangled in Bloom (.25 metre)
F. Sommer – Garden Shadow in Meadow (.25 metre)
G. Sommer – Sundborn in Blossom (.25 metre)
H. Sommer – Tulip Folk in Bloom (.25 metre)
I. Sommer – Double Border in Summer (1 metre – you’ll only use the border from one side of the piece, so you’ll have leftovers for cushions or another use!)
Please note that you need skinny or long quarters of these fabrics, so make sure to put in this request before you check out. You can also call or email us with your order number after you purchase to request skinny quarters.
– Cot size wadding – Caroline used Quilters Dream Natural Request cotton wadding. Please note, if you use this size wadding it will be a close fit to the size of your quilt, without much overhang. If you prefer more wiggle room, opt for a larger size wadding.
– 505 Basting Spray (or basting pins)
– Thread for piecing and quilting (Caroline used Aurifil 50wt in 3320)
– Cut 4″ strips out of fabrics A-H
– Cut an 11″ strip out of fabric I (the border print)
– Cut a 43″ piece of fabric A (main backing fabric)
All fabric strips should be the full width of the fabric
Sew fabrics with a 1/4″ seam allowance
Quilt front layout
Quilt back layout
Here is a picture of the full quilt for reference. I didn’t manage to actually get a full shot of the back, unfortunately!
– Press the quilt top and back.
– Baste as desired. Caroline used 505 Basting Spray.
– Quilt, bind and enjoy!