Pom Pom Advent Calendar Garland tutorial from The Fold Line
When Rachel and Kate from The Fold Line (the fabulous online community for sewers) offered to create a Christmas decoration for our readers I was like, absolutely! And I didn’t even know they were going to use pom pom trim but they did, and this advent calendar garland is awesome.
Our Christmas section is just bursting with festive fabrics to choose from for this project but I do love the classic, red and white used here. Read on for the tutorial and get stitching (it is 1 December, after all!) Thanks, Rachel and Kate!
– 2.5m of red bias tape
– x48 pieces measuring 8cm x 10cm (40cm cotton fabric) – we used Jingle – Noel in Snow
– x24 pieces measuring 8cm x 7cm (20cm cotton fabric) – we used Winter Essentials III – Houses in Red
– 2.5m of mini pompoms in ivory
– 15cm x 15cm piece of red felt
– Matching thread
– Fabric glue
1. Cut x48 rectangles of one fabric design measuring 8cm wide and 10cm long. Also cut x24 rectangles of a different fabric design measuring 8cm wide and 7cm long. You will also need 2.5m of mini pompoms, 2.5m of bias tape 15cm x 15cm of red felt, matching felt and fabric glue.
2. Overlock or zigzag stitch the top edge of the 48 pieces of fabric. Press the top edge over by 1cm and stitch in place.
3. With one of the large pieces laying face up, place one of the smaller stitched pieces on top, also face up. Finally place one of the larger pieces face down on top.
4. Stitch closed each of the 24 advents with a 1cm seam allowance, leaving open the top edge. Clip the corners.
5. Turn each advent right sides out and press. Also press the 2.5m length of bias tape in half, lengthways.
7. Cut out numbers in felt from 1 to 24 and glue to each advent.
8. Fold each end of the bias tape back on itself and stitch across with a 1cm seam allowance. Trim down to 0.5cm. Turn rights sides out.
9. Pin each advent between the folded bias tap. Start with number 1 15cm from the start of the bias tape and leave a gap of 3cm between each advent.
10. Edge stitch the bias tape closed, making sure you stitch each advent in place as you go.
11. Fold over each end of the bias tape by 3cm and stitch down to create a loop to hang your advent.
12. Hand stitch the 2.5m of mini pompoms along the length of bias tape, covering the stitching.
Fill up with sweets or treats and you’re all done!
For more inspiration and to search a database of thousands of sewing patterns visit www.thefoldline.com!