Rainbow sundress

This sundress was made out of an old curtain from my bedroom when I was a kid! When I was home last Thanksgiving rooting around in my mum’s chest of drawers in the basement for old seventies patterns (which she’d thrown out, for shame!) I came across it and thought I could ‘upcycle’ it into something fun.

DSD loved the print so I decided to try making her a simple shirred sundress. If you look around online you’ll see loads of bloggers talking about how ‘easy’ and ‘fun’ sewing with elastic thread is, but I feel the same way as Rae: it’s a love-hate relationship. In addition to it being really difficult to determine exactly how tight your project will sew up, I had some real issues due to the fact that my Brother machine requires that I take out the bobbin case and hand-tighten the tension. It took a lot of searching before I figured out why the dress wasn’t gathering properly. I highly advise you read this post by Creative Heart if you’ve got a Brother and save yourself some headaches!

Finally solved the shirring mystery

 

Shirring up close - nearly straight!

In the end the dress is adorable and DSD loves how the rainbow pattern looks in the gathered bit, but it’s a little tight on her so I don’t know if it will get worn. I kind of wish I had enough fabric to make one in my size! But there are lots of scraps left over for other projects.

Previous article Crafted Nature Collection by Rico now in stock!

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields