Turn of events dress

Finally posting some pictures of this dress that I completed a couple of weeks ago. I’m calling it the Turn of events dress after the fabric, a voile from Anna Maria Horner’s Innocent Crush collection.

I wanted to create something similar to my Clothing at Tesco F&F Bandeau Dress that¬†gets me loads of compliments. I started with Kwik Sew 3521 but made several alterations. I referred to Gertie’s crepe sewalong a lot while making this. Here are the key things I changed:

1. Underlined it using a white 70% silk/30% cotton blend (or vice versa??)

2. Used pleats instead of gathers at the waistline

3. Used shaped darts under the bust to improve the fit

4. Cut a wider neckline to create a slight boatneck

5. Opted not to create a belt or sash at the waist

To finish the dress I used French seams at the sides and the waist (is that odd? I don’t know but it looks and feels okay). I pressed the hem and armholes under and handstitched the edges to the underlining. I wanted to try to stabilise the neckline, so I made a facing and I also used this technique, more or less, and stitched small extra pieces of the lining to the inside of the neckline. That probably makes no sense without looking at the tutorial!

To the trained eye (maybe even the untrained one), there are many mistakes, but overall I really love it. For lack of a better location, these are taken in the playground/building site behind our flat…

Previous article April Classes at The Village Haberdashery!

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields