Beginners Shibori: Stitching and Binding with Rob Jones - 14 November
In this class you will learn basic shibori stitching and binding techniques before dyeing your work in the indigo vat. Over the 2.5 hour workshop you'll master the following stitching and binding skills and learn all about indigo, including:
- The basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work
- How to make the kumo (spiderweb), bai (seashell), and tesugi (stripes) patterns using binding
- The three basic stitches - running stitch, ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (twist stitch)
- How to create filled shapes (maki-age) using stitching and binding
- Other patterns such as boshi (capping), karamatsu (larch) and mokume (woodgrain) will be presented if time permits
- How to dye your fabrics in a genuine indigo vat Instructions on how to create and maintain your own indigo vat at home will be provided.
About your teacher: London-based Romor Designs was formed in the autumn of 2015 by Rob Jones, a shibori textiles designer and natural dyer. Having discovered Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing, at West Dean college, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo guru, Bryan Whitehead. Rob‰۪s passion is in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it. He believes in taking work in new directions by combining techniques and inventing his own forms.
Skills needed: Suitable for complete beginners.
Materials: The course fee includes all materials.
Class size: 6
Date: Wednesday, 14 November, 6:30pm - 9pm
Location: Our West Hampstead shop - West Hampstead Square NW6 2BR
Please note that there are no refunds for class bookings. For more information about our classes, refer to our Class Policies or contact us at email@example.com.