Katagami Stencilling with Indigo with Rob Jones - 30 September
The Japanese craft of Katagami (stencil cutting) has been around for hundreds of years, with craftsmen making the most delicate and detailed patterns and representations of nature. Katagami stencils are made from Japanese washi paper, soaked and bonded together by the juice of the Persimmon fruit and then dried and smoked to create an almost entirely waterproof paper, ideal for stencil work.
In this full day class you will learn about:
- The rice paste used as a resist for all Katazome (stencilling with indigo)
- How to make and maintain an indigo vat and dye with indigo
- Stencilling with leaves and other found objects
- Cutting your own simple stencil which you can take away with you as a souvenir
- How to paste fabric for dyeing with a variety of stencils including your own, those made by the tutor and some modern Japanese stencils
- How to use a persimmon paper cone to draw with paste
- You will use your stencils to dye a number of samples
- A white cotton tote bag to stencil as a project is included in the price Your tutor will also explain about the history of Katagami stencilling in Japan, the four types of stencil cutting techniques and show you a number of vintage stencils, including some from the Edo and Meiji periods.
About your teacher: London-based Romor Designs was formed in the autumn of 2015 by Rob Jones, a shibori textiles designer and natural dyer. Having discovered Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing, at West Dean college, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo guru, Bryan Whitehead. Rob‰۪s passion is in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it. He believes in taking work in new directions by combining techniques and inventing his own forms.
Skills needed: Suitable for complete beginners.
Materials: The course fee includes all materials.
Class size: 6
Date: Sunday, 30 September, 10:30am - 4:30pm
Location: Our West Hampstead shop - West Hampstead Square NW6 2BR
Please note that there are no refunds for class bookings. For more information about our classes, refer to our Class Policies or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.