This is a Sewing Machine with Cathy MacDonald
This class will introduce aspiring stitchers - or those who need a refresher - how to use a sewing machine! In this comprehensive three hour class, you'll get sewing machine-savvy and leave with enough knowledge and confidence to start making your own projects at home! This workshop is focussed solely on the skill of sewing and the entire three hours will be spent practising each element below to ensure that the methods stay in your mind after the class.
We use Janome XL601 sewing machines in our class. You may be able to bring your own machine to class. Please contact us after booking if you'd like to do this so we can confirm your machine is suitable for the class. If you are bringing your own machine, you'll need to come early to set it up and come to class with your machine's handbook.
This workshop covers:
- Machine safety
- Learn the different functions of the sewing machine
- Threading the machine
- Winding a bobbin
- Changing a needle, needle position, needle size
- Mastering sewing machine speed control
- Sewing straight lines, curves and corners
- Sewing seams (understanding seam allowance)
- Finishing seams and reverse stitching
- Using a seam ripper
- How to use the overlocking (serging) stitch on a sewing machine
- Care of your machine and troubleshooting
Skills needed: This class is designed for absolute beginners.
Materials: All materials will be provided.
Class size: 8
Length: 2.5 hours
Location: The Village Haberdashery at West Hampstead Square NW6 2BR
Please note that there are no refunds for class bookings. For more information about our classes, refer to our Class Policies or contact us at email@example.com.